Monday, April 25, 2011

Sewing and Gift for Baby

I've been thinking about this lately. About a year ago, I gained this love for sewing. I think it's in my blood or something. My mom's a sewer, sister's a sewer, but I never thought I was too. Growing up, my mom taught my sister how to sew, I remember, she taught Lauren how to sew a skort. (Skort's were all the craze back then.) I was always a little bit jealous, but never really had the attention span or the patience to sit and learn how to sew. So, instead if ever I needed something sewn, I would ask mom or Lauren to do it for me.
Well, back to the story, I FINALLY gained the patience to sew (around a year ago). I think it was because I live over 600 miles away from mom and Lauren and can't really ask them to sew something for me anymore. I decided that I wanted to make an apron for myself, and one for Justin's mom for Mother's Day (last year). I figured I would start with something a bit easier, so I decided to make Lauren's 2 kids (Hailey and Kayden) blankets. I borrowed Justin's sister-in-law's machine and whipped out the blankets... easy. Then it was onto the hard things, the aprons, where I didn't understand half of the directions. I ended up having to call my mom and ask for help about 10 times before I even started sewing! After probably 3 days, I finished my first masterpiece, Justin's mom's apron. I wouldn't say it was the greatest creation, but it was awesome for my first REAL project.
Now, I'm starting to get the "sewing itch" again. I want to make this "little Lancaster" a quilt. I mean, if I could make 2 aprons without any substantial help (anyone else sewing it for me) than I can probably make a quilt. Here are a few of my problems: 1. I don't have a sewing machine of my own, 2. I don't really have the time to quilt, and 3. we don't know the sex of the baby (I'm not going to make a unisex quilt). So, now, how to fix my problems? I'm thinking maybe while I am in California in June, for my little bro's high school graduation, I can convince my mom to take me fabric shopping and we can figure out this quilt thing together. And, I'm hoping that as far as the sewing machine thing (or lack there of) goes, I'm really hoping I can borrow Justin's sister-in-law's again, since I FINALLY figured out how to use it and re-thread it! hahaha!
Anywho, that is my rant for the night... I want to make a gift for "little Lancaster" and I would love for that gift to be a quilt.

Also, on the gift subject, the baby has got some ADORABLE gifts so far, a CUTE "deer camouflage" bib from Grandma Misty, and 2 rubber duckies from Grandma (Justin's mom) one is a cheerleader ducky and the other is a football player ducky... suits us, right? It sounds little, but these gifts are so cute and we can't wait for "little Lancaster" to be here and enjoy all of these gifts and the people that love him/her.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to sew something for you and baby Lancaster! I need to brush up on my sewing skills - its been a year since my last project so perhaps I'll make you something nice for baby and you. :)

    ReplyDelete