Friday, March 18, 2011

First Flight As A Pregnant Lady... I'm a Little Scared

So, this is the first of a series of posts.
My grandpa passed away on Monday, March 13th, and after my dad told me that he had passed away, I found myself thoughtlessly saying, "I'll fly out there whenever you need me." Of course, I would be going out to California, regardless of my statement made to my dad, but after I said this, I realized all of my horrors of what was soon to come!
As many of you know, I have been very sick throughout this first trimester. With the migraines and vomiting multiple times a day, I am thoroughly excited for this trimester to be over. This brings me to my first fear, if I get sick this easily on the ground, how's it going to be when I'm up in the air? Last time I flew (back in November for my bachelorette party/bridal shower in November) I got extreme altitude sickness. My head was pounding, my stomach was queasy, and I finally vomited when I got home. This sparks even more of my fear of getting sick. If I can get sick then, when I wasn't pregnant, I wonder how easily it will be while I am pregnant.
My other fear/concern is, I always feel cramped or squished while sitting on the airplane. No matter which seat it is, I always feel like the person next to me is sitting on top of me. It could be a little bit of "claustrophobia" or it could be my issue with personal space, but either way, I just don't like feeling squished. This issue with personal space has heightened in the past two months (since finding out I was pregnant). So, I'm a little worried how I will deal with this, this time around.
I have talked to a few friends at work, who have expressed their love for flying. And, don't get me wrong, I'm not against flying or afraid of flying. I'm afraid of the effects that go with it. I LOVE driving. I LOVE going on road trips. Even though it takes about 5 times as long to get to California driving (opposed to flying) I would much rather drive. Growing up, I always got carsick. No matter how long of a distance we were driving, I was bound to get sick. It was a miracle if going from our house to the babysitter's I didn't vomit everywhere. Well, that has changed in my life (either that, or I've just learned to control it). I love to drive or be in the front passenger seat on road trips. If I had the money, and I could afford to put another 1200 miles on my truck, I would be driving instead of flying.
I will keep you posted on how the first flight as a pregnant lady goes, and even update you about the second flight as a pregnant lady (my flight back home). Let's pray this flight goes well, I leave Sunday morning, bright and early!

No comments:

Post a Comment